Looking at how long it takes to build a custom home? There’s more than you think you need to know about that can impact your final timeline. For one, unlike production homes, where pre-selected sites, designs, and features streamline the process, custom homes are a unique journey.
Custom homes require starting from scratch, with every detail being a reflection of the homeowner’s preferences and choices.
“Custom home construction is a journey of personalization and precision. Unlike production homes with pre-set designs, each custom home starts from a blank canvas,” said Shauna Brown, Senior Custom Designer.
“It’s a commitment to quality and uniqueness, where every minute spent in planning and building translates into a lifetime of comfort and satisfaction in a home that’s truly yours.”
In this blog, we’ll explore the intricacies of the custom home building process, highlighting the factors that extend the completion time, including the additional steps and decisions you, as the buyer, will need to make.
How Long Does It Take to Build a Custom Home?
The straightforward answer? It depends—on several factors. Every step of the process, from design to construction, influences the duration, and unique factors play a role in every project. On average, however, custom home construction typically takes 12 to 36 months.
Tip: For customers signed on with JayMarc Homes, however, custom homes are delivered in under 24 months.
Factors to Consider in the Timeline for Your Custom Build Home
Here are some of the factors to be aware of:
- Home Design: Have a complicated home design, especially for a home that you need to be large and accommodate the chaos of life? Your builder’s competence and efficiency are key in smoothly managing these aspects.
- Permits: The time to obtain necessary approvals can vary depending on local authorities. Make sure to choose a builder that has experience in dealing with such processes.
- Supply and Subcontractor Shortages: These shortages can impact the progress of construction. Good planning and a strong network can help mitigate these challenges. A good builder will communicate with you the when and why of any delays.
- Site Conditions: Building on difficult terrains, in hazard zones, or rural locations presents unique challenges that require expert handling.
- Weather: Unpredictable weather conditions like rain, snow, or extreme temperatures can cause delays. Your builder needs to plan ahead to accommodate these elements and potential delays.
- Homeowner Decisions: The time you take as a homeowner to select options and make design decisions can likewise influence the project timeline.
- Change Orders: Requests for changes made late in the project can affect the completion date. A flexible approach and clear communication can help you minimize the impact of these changes.
How Long Does a New Construction Home Take to Build?
There is a difference between the construction timeline for a custom built home and a new home. While you can expect a custom built home to take longer, if you’re looking for a shorter timeline or something move-in ready, you’re looking at a timeline of 9 to 12 months.
Some builders, like JayMarc Homes, may already have model homes available for you to tour.
Learn more about the custom home building process with our blog:
- Home Builders vs. General Contractors: 5 Differences to Know When Building a Custom Home
- Explore the Differences Between Spec Homes vs. Custom Homes
- 2024 Home Building Trends You Need to Know Before Building a Custom Home
How Is My Custom Home Built?
When you’re looking at the potential timelines for planning and construction, here’s how your new home will likely be built.
- Lot and Land: The first step involves either owning land or finding new land. Once the land is secured, it’s prepared for construction. This may include clearing, grading, and ensuring accessibility.
- Preparation: This phase addresses any building concerns specific to the property, like soil condition and topography. Identifying any property restrictions or easements is also essential to determine what can be built.
- Design: The exciting part of customizing your home begins here. You finalize blueprints and customize floor plans to match your vision. This step transforms your ideas into a tangible plan.
- Financing: Securing the right financing is crucial. This involves choosing the appropriate loan and navigating the approval process. It’s important to understand the financial aspects and secure funds for your project.
- Permitting: Acquiring construction permits is a necessary legal step. The duration for permit acquisition can vary based on local regulations and the complexity of your project.
- Build: The construction phase involves a number of steps, from laying the foundation to framing, roofing, and interior finishes. The duration of construction varies depending on the project’s scope and complexity, along with factors like weather and material availability.
Tip: When planning the design of your home, make sure you keep the future in mind. Planning on starting your own business, expanding your family, or selling in the future? Accommodating these spaces from the start will save you a headache later.
Your Own Custom Home…
…in just 2 years.Find Out How
What Can I Do to Help the Timeline for My Custom Home Finish On Time?
For homeowners like you looking at starting a custom home building journey, playing an active role can significantly influence the project’s success and timeline. Here’s how you can contribute effectively.
- Availability: Being consistently present at every step of the process is crucial. Your involvement ensures that your vision is accurately translated into reality.
- Communication: Maintain regular contact with your company representative. This way, you’re always in the loop and can make timely decisions or provide necessary feedback.
- Updates and Clarity: Expect and ask for regular updates on the progress of your home. Clear communication from both sides prevents misunderstandings and keeps the project on track.
- Decision Making: Take the time to consider all options available to you. Once you finalize your choices, particularly in design, it’s important to adhere to them. Frequent changes can delay the project and add to your costs.
- Timeline Adherence: Prompt decisions and responses play a key role in keeping the project on schedule. By meeting your responsibilities in a timely manner, you help make sure the build is completed as planned.
How Long Each Phase of Your Custom Home Build Timeline Can Take
Phase of Construction
– Lot and Land Acquisition
– Preparation (Planning, Survey)
2. Design Phase
– Finalizing Blueprints
– Customizing Floor Plans
– Loan Approval Process
– Acquiring Construction Permits
– Foundation and Framing
– Exterior and Interior Works
– Finishing Touches
Total Estimated Duration
What Should I Do If the Timeline for My Custom Home is Delayed?
Dealing with delays in custom home construction can be challenging, but with a well-thought-out approach, you can navigate these setbacks effectively. Start by developing a robust contingency plan. This includes securing temporary housing solutions or having an option to extend your current lease.
Maintaining open communication with your builder is likewise a good idea. Address any concerns or questions promptly to prevent minor issues from becoming major problems. Establish a schedule for regular updates and discussions, keeping you in the loop and enabling you to make timely decisions.
Staying organized throughout the process is equally important. Keep detailed records of all communications with your builder to maintain clarity and avoid misunderstandings. Be prepared to adjust your budget and timeline if necessary, accounting for any extra expenses or changes in the schedule.
An even better bet? Skip the stress of wondering about your custom home building process timeline when you work with a professional home builder like JayMarc Homes.
Skip the Stress of Wondering About Your Custom Home Build Timeline With JayMarc Homes
If you’re considering building a custom home and wondering about the timeline, let JayMarc Homes be your guide. With over 750 years of combined home building experience and nearly 13 years in the business, we’ve honed the process to make it as efficient and enjoyable as possible.
Building 20-25 luxury homes annually, we have the expertise to ensure your project stays on schedule.
Remember, every custom home journey with JayMarc Homes is unique, and timelines can vary. However, our award-winning approach (Silver for the NHQ Award in 2019) and numerous positive reviews (80+ across Houzz, Facebook, and Google) testify to our ability to deliver your luxury home within a realistic timeframe.
Don’t just dream about your perfect home—let’s make it a reality. Contact us today to get started.