9 Home Maintenance Tips for the End of 2019
As we approach the end of 2019 and are getting ready for a fresh new year, here are 9 tips to keep your home in tip-top shape, and prepare for the upcoming winter months!
1. Check and replace batteries on smoke detectors, carbon monoxide monitors and other home alarms.
2. Check window caulking and seals. With the cold, wet winds of winter starting to arrive, check the condition of caulking around windows and doors.
3. Be prepared with ice melting compounds. Having a little bit of salt, ice melt or sand on hand will give you peace of mind when winter storms approach. A prepared walkway and driveway will make shoveling snow easier, and will help prevent potential falls!
4. Keep pipes from freezing! Maintain an average room temperature of no less than 55 degrees to prevent pipes from freezing. Also disconnect any exterior hoses, and consider insulating pipes that receive more exposure.
5. Check the fireplace and chimney. If you actively use your fireplace, check for any debris and cracks. Even better, hire a professional chimney sweep to give it a thorough cleaning!
6. Flat roof maintenance. If you have a flat roof, be sure to remove any leaves as they contain moisture. A rake or leaf blower will easily do the trick!
7. Reverse ceiling fan. If you have ceiling fans, run them in reverse so that the fan blades run clockwise. This will push heated air down. This is especially helpful in rooms with high ceilings!
8. Cover patio furniture. Protect your patio furniture from the elements (and rust!) with covers, or by moving the pieces to a covered area.
9. Change furnace filters. This is actually a task that should be done every few months for most filters, but if you haven't been keeping up now is an excellent time to start!